Monday, September 14, 2009

Capturing Moments at Work (includes a video)

I was painting last night (and in the wee hours of the morning) and I realized that this will be my last painting for a while until I get some woodworking lessons. I thought that I should take some pictures of myself and attempt a videotape so you can see what it looks like when I paint.

The painting I worked on last night is in two stages. I worked on the first stage, which was simply painting the canvas. The second stage will involve creating casts so I can create multiple objects using molds. Afterwards, I’ll paint the molded objects and then attach them to the canvas. I’m scared about whether or not it’s going to work, but I guess that’s how you learn things –trial and error.

In the video, I agree, the canvas looks like Jackson went completely insane and got into a fight with macaroni and cheese. The lighting makes the canvas look yellow, but it’s actually orange. I also agree that the video is a little boring, but it’s a glimpse of what I’ve been doing.

Go ahead and criticize all you want. I think it's actually interesting to hear how people interpret and perceive things. I also like the input because it makes me see my work differently and it motivates me to find ways to improve my next piece.

2 comments:

  1. I like the video it's awesome lol! I also like the sounds the brush makes when it hits the canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I never use a brush to paint –the only exception is if I’m adding a very water-soluble medium, such as acrylic, because of its consistency. I was using a flat metal ceramic tool that is used to scrape and smooth out clay. You’re hearing a combination of “flinging” sounds from the tool and “splattering” sounds from the paint.

    ReplyDelete