Saturday, October 3, 2009

Hidden Art in my Closet

Earlier this week, I had to show pictures of some of my artwork that I have done in the past and I thought that I would share some of those photos with you. It was kind of interesting because I forgot about some of these pieces and I think they show a little of my versatility. These are all things I did a long time ago, so the quality may not necessarily be great, but I think they represent where I have come from as an artist as well as some of my interests and my personality.

I created this chair in 2003. The wings are made from plexiglass, and they can move side-to-side. The stinger was created from a broom stick. This is actually the chair that I use when I’m working and doing art in my studio.

Bumble Bee Chair

Front.

Back.

With a model to emphasize the stinger.

I made this piece in 2006. In my ceramics class, I had to throw a bunch of random pieces on a pottery wheel and then create a sculpture out of those pieces. This was the first thing I ever created in that class so I was proud of this piece. I was the worst in that class, but that’s another story for another time.
Chicken Head


This piece was something that I had started in 2002, but didn’t finish until 2007. It’s a weaving piece that I did using yarn, thread, straw, cardboard, and sticks. I finished the weaving in 2002, but I had a big square in the middle and didn’t know what to put in there until 2007 –talk about having creative block issues.

A Weaving



What I’m going to show next is something a little nontraditional, but I think it shows my “graphic designing abilities” –put into quotes so real graphic designers won’t be offended and feel like I’m taking on a title too great for my amateur skills –which may also be reflected from my Bumble Bee Chair. It’s a poster I created through PowerPoint for my research study of two years. It looks simple and boring, but I was given guidelines on how to create the poster and I followed those guidelines while also making it on the “artsy” side. Someone thought it was “outlandish” for the Statistics World, but they eventually came around and said it has its own artistic qualities that make it stand out.

Research Poster



Those are my early archived pieces that stay in the closet (literally), with the exception of the Bumble Bee Chair. Sometimes you have to show the old stuff so people can see where you come from and how you’ve developed.

Updates: I’ll post pictures of my current pieces very soon. I’m still working on making objects for one of my paintings and it’s taking me a long time. The process is long, but I hope it will all work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment